Surface Design Study: Laser Cut Sample

 


This is my laser cut sample of my 2D design! 


Originally, I was set up to create a 4x4 inch cut of the four original repeats. I made the last minute decision to create an interactive grid that was physically smaller, but had more sections because I felt that it would be in line with my original idea for the uses of this design. 



Here it is, all cut out. The 2D design is just under 2x2 in. I created a base and a border to hold the little pieces in. 


In the end, I was happiest with how the wood grains showed up in the design. It gives off veiny, meaty vibes which I think is suitable. However, if I could do this again I would print more "white" values since my chosen application of greyscale does not contrast very well. 

Overall, this was a great learning experience and brought up personal interest for further experimentation, like finding ways for the parts of the design to interlock/ move while remaining fixed to the base. 

Comments