Papercraft Objects: First Prototype

For my object, I wanted to create a gramophone with a spinning record. I noted a number of changes that would have to be made throughout my process. 

Finished prototype in Rhino.

Top view of templates before printing. 

Practice and final print.

I ended up increasing the scale of some of the tabs as well as the model itself for the templates I used. I also had to rearrange some of my objects and add more tabs to accommodate for the change in scale.   

A few of my finished templates. 

I noticed a few redundant score lines and tabs as I began to cut and fold. There were also tabs and holes that I missed and will have to add back in for my final, as we will see. I used glue and rubber cement to put my object together. Also blood, sweat, tears, and probably skin cells (sorry) 


Above is one of the parts that I struggled with the most due to the small size of the shape and tabs. I cut the smallest tabs into rectangles rather than triangles to allow for better grip. I will make this change in Rhino for my final iteration. The difficulty of this section made me consider simplifying the shape for my final. However, I am happy with how it looks, so I will instead try to increase the size of the entire object and unroll this shape differently in Rhino. 


Here is one of the areas where I missed tabs. I went back and added them in by hand, but I will make the change in Rhino for my final.  

The freehand tabs. 


I could see the weight of the horn beginning to shift the balance of my object. Adding a hole in my final base will make it more secure than just pasting the horn on. 


With the full object in view, I believe that not only the weight of the horn is throwing the balance off, but also the placements of my objects. I will need to experiment and resolve this in my final version. I will also add a second layer to the inside of the horn in order to hide my tabs. 

Below are different views of the finished prototype. There is still some work to be done for my final, but I am happy with where I have gotten for this week. 





Comments