Castle II

Castle II

This assignment was a helpful exercise in brushing up on my Rhino skills. My castle was inspired by Bryan's icebreaker in the first week of this course. I created a Lego castle sitting on top of my notebook. 


Techniques 

Loft and boolean difference were the tools that I used to create the more complex shapes in this model. To create the binder rings, I lofted three circles to create a rounded border, then used boolean difference with smaller extruded cylinders to create the indents. I also used boolean difference to create the punches in the binder and the hollow space inside of the Legos. 


Rendering 

To create the finished piece, I applied my materials, added textures and adjusted their clarity. I also applied a material to the ground plane from the Rhino library. Lastly, I used a custom environment for reflections, lighting, and background in the render properties. 


Successes and Challenges 

Overall, I think that my castle came out pretty well; I was especially happy with how the binder came out in the end. However, I did run into a few challenges while working on this assignment.  


The final product was not my original vision; I wanted to include a pencil which I modelled by lofting a point, extruding polygons, revolving polylines, and more, but it did not come together in a way that I was happy with. On top of that, I lost the file which I modelled the pencil on before I was able to troubleshoot. I decided to go without it. 

wonky ground plane

Another minor challenge was that my objects were floating on the ground plane; I tried to move them from the front and side views, but the ground plane just moved with my model. In hindsight, this may have been because the rings on the binder are the lowest point of the model; I did not want to create too much of a diagonal so the binder is not totally flush with my x axis........... c'est la vie  

dang 

Comments