REVERSE ENGINEERED OBJECT: PROGRESS I

A preview:) I am excited to add some fillets to the middle piece/ comb once I am on the Macs. I think it will make a huge difference, I just haven't risked this on my laptop yet because the laptop will explode. Initially, I started with mapping the comb/ center piece out on paper and quickly realized that I didn't feel like doing that, so I just put everything straight into Rhino. 

I ended up going with the harmonica after Bryan encouraged me to take it apart and give it a shot. Here it is disassembled-- looks simple enough! 
Here is the model so far in Rhino. It was a lot of fun but also I lost a bit of progress because my laptop did not save the newest version as a 3dm file </3 It was not too difficult to catch up though, mostly copying the rivets (not pictured) and using boolean difference to get the rivet holes in the reeds (also not pictured) and reed plates again.
 
(Not totally accurate yet, I will need the screws to add the rest of the holes)

Here is my progress exploded and a different angle of the harmonica parts. 

kapow

The reeds

I reckon the most difficult part was trying to understand how to derive the bottom reeds from the top reeds as they are kind of reversed..................... but only in some places. The plates as well, initially I tried to just use the same model for top and bottom but the placement of the rectangle reed hole things/slots are slightly different..! 
The undersides of the reed plates

I am looking forward to learning more about network surfaces and screws in class so that I can get into the more intimidating parts of this model, including the cover plate! Hurray 

Comments